According to officials, the death toll climbed to ninety while many people are still missing at the condo collapse in Surfside, Florida. Whereas the search & rescue operation now officially shifted to a recovery operation. On Sunday, Daniella Levine Cava, the Miami-Dade County Mayor, announced that the updated death toll at a press conference. She also said that the authorities identified seventy-one of the dead and notified their families.
The chief of operations for the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department, Ray Jadallah, reportedly told the families of missing people that hope for finding more survivors ends at this stage. Furthermore, the authorities demolished the remaining portion of the Champlain Towers South condo that didn’t collapse on 24th June. Its demolition made it easier and safer for the rescue workers to carry on their search operation through the rubble.
What type of snags search Workers is facing?
Sometimes search crews faced problems and issues: The recovery team briefly paused the operation on Saturday morning because of lightning. In the same way, the crew called off the efforts for fifteen hours last week because of concern over how unstable the debris pile is. Workers delayed the efforts due to the smoldering fire in debris after the collapse.
Miami-Dade officials announced that they would continue searching until they accounted for all missing people. Cava said that rescue teams are nonstop doing their best to make progress on the collapse site to bring an end to the families who are waiting for news about their loved ones.
A huge section of the condominium collapsed at around 01:30 am on 24th June, just some days before the owners of the building set to start payments on a repair job. The reason behind the collapse is still unknown, but there were several signs its structure wasn’t in good shape. However, a 2018 inspection report found significant structural damage on the condo. In the same way, photos showed disintegrating concrete and leakage from the pool of the building in the days before the collapse.
Joe Biden, the U.S. President, visited the unfortunate site and promised that his government would completely cover the cost for the initial thirty days of search and rescue operations. First Lady Jill Biden was also with the president during his visit to the condo collapse site. Biden critic and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis praised the response of the federal government to the collapse.
Read Also: Unprecedented Heat Wave is Frying the Northern Hemisphere